Tuesday, June 13, 2006

My New Books


For my 40th birthday I got a gift certificate for $2500 at Page One bookstore in the Taipei 101 building. That was way back in March, and I finally got up to Taipei and bought some books. It is a fairly random selection, I if I'd had enough money I could easily have bought ten times as many.

Here are the titles I chose:

*The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

*Catch-22, Joseph Heller

*The Portable Emerson, Carl Bode, ed.

*Collected Fictions, Jorge Luis Borges

*Dream of the Red Chamber, Tsao Hsueh-Chin

*The Glass Key, Dashiell Hammett

*101 Kitchens: Stylish Room Solutions, Julie Savill

Maybe a strange combination, but it was very difficult for me to choose. One of my rules was not to buy anything I've already read.

These, in addition to the many books that I have inherited from people who were lightening their loads as they left Taiwan, should keep me busy for a while.

Post a Comment