Friday, July 28, 2006

My Throat Hurts


About a week ago I went to the doctor because I had an earache. I'd had it for about a week. I think it was from swimming--which I do a lot of. They gave me some medicine and told me not to swim for three days. I followed their instructions, and soon I was all better.

Now I have tonsillitis (that is with a double 'l'). I just found this out from a doctor, though I could have guessed by the swelling, redness, and pain.

Guess what else? My former employers, who were technically responsible for paying my health insurance (I even offered to reimburse them after they released me from my contract) cancelled my health insurance about six months ago. So when I went to the doctor, instead of the usual $150 NT, I had to pay $550 NT (NT being the new Taiwan dollar, worth about $.30 US). The best part is that I'll probably have to pay--out of my own pocket--six months worth of insurance dues. This is all not to mention that I might have to have my tonsils out in the next week or two, and it will likely take until the end of August to get all my insurance woes sorted.

Why couldn't I have gotten sick like this during the first three years in which my insurance was all paid up? Why?

I'll tell you why: someone up there doesn't like me. I've had it too easy for too long and now it is time to pay the piper. Woe is me!

I guess there is nothing to do now but rend my tunic, pour ashes on my head, wail, and gnash my teeth.

Post a Comment