Monday, August 07, 2006

Mahjong, Ma Zhong, Ma Jong???



No matter how you spell it, it comes up fun time for the whole family.

After four years in Taiwan I finally played mazhong (I choose the spelling closest to the pinyin system I learned) for the first time. It is basically like gin rummy or other card games where you have to pick up something at the start of your turn, and discard something at the end. A big difference is you play with tiles instead of cards. There are groupings of tiles that are analogous to suites in a deck of cards, but not on a one-to-one basis. There is also money involved, but I got pretty confused as to why I lost every round but only had to pay out one time, whereas other players won a couple of rounds but had to pay out multiple times. Chalk that confusion up to the beer, I guess.

Anyway, it was fun and I hope to play again and maybe I'll try to explain more about it in this godforsaken blog.

Post a Comment