Monday, September 11, 2006

Ring ring goes the bell....


Today is my first day of grad school. I feel it is fitting that it falls on September 11. It is also fitting that one of my neighbors decided to throw a drunken fit last night (actually it started at about 4 this morning) and rage up and down the street screaming at the top of his lungs, "ζˆ‘δΈι«˜θˆˆ!" or "Wo bu gaoxing! Wo bu gaoxing!" (that means, "I'm not happy").

Really? Well now I'm not happy either.

In the states someone would have called the cops right away, but Taiwanese people tend to put up with a lot before dialling 911 (actually here it is 119). Maybe this is because the police here are exceptionally useless.

By the way, I can't call the cops because they don't understand a word I say. I tried it once when a different berserk neighbor hit me. I finally got to speak to someone who understood English, and he promised to send someone right over. No one ever came.

Maybe that is another reason people don't tend to call the cops here--they don't come anyway.

Well, the cops finally showed up about 5:30, and parked their car directly beneath my window where they proceeded to "interview" witnesses, all of which were speaking at the same time.

The police were there for about a half an hour, during which time the noisy neighbor retreated into his apartment and turned off the lights. What a genius! This strategy completely baffled the police, who were apparently unable to figure out where he had gone despite his lurking in the shadows of his second floor balcony. Once the cops drove away, he was back in the street shouting again.

I was finally able to doze off right before I needed to get up and get ready for my first day at school.

WO BU GAOXING!!!

Post a Comment