Friday, January 05, 2007

Foot Dragging

Not that I'm one to complain (ha ha ha), but there is one thing that drives me nuts about young Taiwanese men: they drag their feet when they walk. I remember when I worked at the University of Washington and sometimes I'd get stuck on a path behind a young Asian man, and it would drive me crazy how slow he walked and how he dragged his feet, scuffing his shoes on the ground with each step.

Now that I'm in Taiwan and going to university again, I'm having the nightmare all over again. I don't know what causes it, but it might be related to the wearing of slippers or flip-flops in the house. Still, I can't imagine why someone would want to impede his progress by causing so much friction with the earth.

Strangely, I only seem to notice this behavior in a university setting. I haven't noticed it much in other public places. Girls don't do it, either, though that is probably because a lot of them wear shoes that wouldn't scuff well.

Whatever the cause, it is all I can do not to shout, "Pick up your feet, god damn it!" to the culprits.

Are they afraid that if they lose touch with the earth that they'll float away?

scuff scuff scuff scuff scuff

Post a Comment