Friday, February 02, 2007

Plants

When my friends left Taiwan, they gave me a bunch of houseplants. Some of them were kind of sick at the time (the plants, not the friends), so they died. Others I was able to nurse back to health. Yet others became sick and died in my care. I've pinched, pruned, and hacked others down to the roots. I've cloned a few. All in all, I have more plants than I have room for.

Here are some photos of a couple success stories.

First, the Christmas cactus. When I got it it looked like a pile of black octopuses. Its branches (fronds? leaves?) still look kind of sickly, but it has about doubled in size and it is blooming like crazy.


Then there are the two little trees. Granted they don't look like much, but they were little more than a few spindly sticks when I got them. I pruned them back pretty drastically, and in a few months they have branched out and are almost bushy now. One particular challenge with them is that they are in pots from which it will be difficult to transplant them, hence they are both extremely rootbound. This is especially true of the one in the little ceramic pot. I'll have to break the pot to get the plant out, and I don't really want to do that. I guess it will have to live as a bonsai.

Post a Comment