Thursday, March 01, 2007

Why Are There People Like Frank?


A little while ago I posted some home movies I made of myself and my girlfriend trying to smoke a hookah she had just brought back from Turkey. Neither of us had ever tried to smoke one before, so we had no idea what we were doing. The thing didn't come with instructions, either.

Anyway, I put the videos up on YouTube, not really thinking much about it. Then I got a few helpful comments from people who told me what I was doing wrong (not that I cared that much--I don't really intend to take up hookah smoking as a pastime). I thought that was very kind of them to share their knowledge with me, a stranger to them.

Then I started getting really insulting comments, apparently just because I am a "noob" at smoking a hookah. I was called some pretty nasty names, and my general intelligence was insulted. All because I don't know how to do something that is a pretty stupid and unhealthy thing to do in the first place. Believe me, there are lots of stupid and unhealthy things that I like to do, but I'd never insult someone else just because he or she doesn't know how to do them. I'd probably think such a person was lucky not to have developed a bad habit.

Anyway, I just can't figure out why some people get so much pleasure out of trolling the internet and insulting others. I mean, I'm all for freedom of information and the sharing of ideas, but pointless insults are less than useless. They are a waste of everyone's time and energy, and they just create more negativity in a world that already has too much.

Why?

Why?

Why why why?

Post a Comment