Thursday, December 20, 2007

Crunch Time

Frequent visitors to this blog may have noticed that I haven't posted much lately. The reason for this is that I've been really busy with school work. I guess another reason is that I haven't been very inspired to write anything, but that is secondary.

Since I'm living in Taiwan, I don't get a winter holiday, at least not for a couple more weeks when Chinese New Year is celebrated. Christmas is not a holiday here, though they do get into the decorations, music, and some of the more material aspects of it. In fact, I have two classes on Christmas day.

Still, most of the foreigners I know have Christmas activities in the works. There is a big formal party this Saturday, and I'm sure there is a lot of tree trimming and gift giving going on. Unfortunately (or not), I haven't had a very joyful year, so I'm not much in the spirit. On top of that there is the pressure of doing all my final projects and studying for final exams.

I seem to remember it was the same kind of situation in the States. Just when you have the least time for shopping and other festive holiday activities, Christmas comes along and complicates things.

Since most evidence shows that Jesus was actually born in the spring, I wonder why we can't move the holiday to another time of year, perhaps sometime when not much else is going on. Summer seems like it would be good (for those of us north of the equator). There's no school, and few other holidays. The weather is pretty good, too.

I don't mean to be a Scrooge or a Grinch, although I've done so in the past. I just wish I could have a Christmas that doesn't drive me to the brink of a nervous breakdown.

Post a Comment