Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Ghost of New Year's Past

I posted something to my blog on January 30, 2007 about a website called "future me." The way it works is you send yourself an email in the future. In other words, last year about this time I went to the future me website and wrote an email to myself. The idea is that I'm supposed to get the email a year later and then see whether my plans or expectations worked out the way I wanted them to.

I just got the email, and I guess you could say that things didn't quite go the way I'd planned.

Here's what I wrote to myself a year ago:

Subject: Remember Me? Future me?

The following is an e-mail from the past, composed on Friday, January 26, 2007, and sent via FutureMe.org

Dear FutureMe,

By now you should be three quarters finished with your MBA at NCTU. How's that going?

What about Jessica? How are things going with her? Did she ever pay you back that fifty grand? Are you married yet?

How about boxing? Swimming?

Try to get yourself in shape, man!

I know it isn't very profound, but neither am I, so I guess that is appropriate.

So, how did I do? First off, I'm pretty much where I expected to be on the MBA. In fact, I think I have all of my required courses completed, and now I just need to take electives to finish up my credits and write my thesis.

As to Jessica, things didn't work out very well at all. I did get my money back, but she left me. Needless to say we didn't get married.

I've kept up pretty well with the boxing, but I haven't been swimming for about a year. As far as being in shape, that is hard to say. I've lost some weight, but I've got lots of aches and pains. Still, for my age, I'm probably in fairly decent physical condition.

The interesting thing, I suppose, about the whole "future me" idea is that it can be kind of scary to think about what is going to happen to you in the future. I remember feeling a weird tension when I sent that email to myself, kind of like I might be jinxing myself by committing any future hopes to written words. It is funny that the one important thing that I actually was confident enough about to include--my relationship--turned out to be the thing that went disastrously wrong.

Yikes! Maybe I did jinx myself.

Will I use "future me" again? I think so. This time I'm going to put a little more thought into it, though. It will be a little bit difficult, because I am really drifting right now and have very little idea of what I'm going to do in the coming year (other than finish school).

Post a Comment