Monday, March 10, 2008

New Door Handle


On Saturday I got home from work and unlocked the deadbolt on my door, and when I went to push the little button in the handle to release the latch, it just went in with no resistance and didn't come back out. I pulled on the door, but it wouldn't open. I got a little anxious about this, because I knew that I wasn't really "locked" out, but I was still stuck on the wrong side of my door.

After pushing and pulling for a while, I managed to get the door open. It was obvious what the problem was: the ancient mechanism inside the door handle had failed. I could open the door from the inside, but if I went outside and closed the door, it wouldn't open without a struggle, and maybe not at all.

Luckily I have a good landlord. I called him, and he came right over. He took a look at the door and then left. A few minutes later he came back with a locksmith who replaced the handle.

Post a Comment