Thursday, May 08, 2008

Constant Reader, Be Advised...

To my surprise, several of my friends actually admitted to being regular readers of my blog. I guess I should start being more careful about what I write...

I'm often too busy with other stuff to write anything here, and I can imagine that it is annoying for people to go to a blog hoping to find something new, only to find the same thing that was there the last few times they checked.

So, if you like to check my blog, but don't want to waste your time coming here unless there is something new, you can "subscribe" to The Shorty Method and receive an alert anytime there is something new.

It all has to do with something called RSS, which sounds a little daunting but is actually very simple. It's basically the same thing that websites use to update news headlines and stuff like that. If you want to know more about it, just type "What is RSS?" into a Google search.

The important thing is that you don't really have to know anything about it to make it work.

All you have to do is go to the bottom of my page where it says Subscribe to: Posts (Atom), click on the link, and then figure out how you want to subscribe. You can have it show up using Yahoo, Google, or with an RSS reader program.

For example, I subscribe to my own blog (I know, I know) on my My Yahoo page. Along with the other stuff there, it shows a list of the ten most recent blog entries I've made. It is pretty convenient if you use My Yahoo anyway.

Another way you can be notified of any new posts is to become my friend on Facebook (I set it up so my blog posts show up there, too). Be advised, however, that I'm only going to accept friend offers from people who are actually my friends (not that I expect the millions of people who read my blog each day to make such an offer, but I just don't want anyone's feelings to get hurt if I reject them).

So, if you care at all about this, it might make your online life a little easier, or at least save you a few clicks.

Post a Comment