Tuesday, July 08, 2008

How Long Does it Take to Drown?

I went to the pool the other day with a friend of mine. We were sitting there poolside chatting, when she got a concerned look on her face. I glanced over my shoulder to see what she was looking at, and all I saw were a bunch of kids splashing around. When I looked back, she said something like, "What's wrong with that kid?" I looked back again, and there was one kid who was under water except for his hands and the top of his head. He was thrashing around pretty good, but he couldn't get his head out of the water, nor could he touch the bottom of the pool. I just looked at him for a second, and then looked around at the other people at the pool. It was obvious that my friend and I were the only ones who saw what was going on. For a second I wondered if I should do something. I mean, it wasn't my kid, and I always pretend I don't like kids. I wouldn't want to ruin my reputation. Still, I decided I shouldn't let the little guy drown, so I dove into the pool.

Unfortunately, this caused my trunks to slide down to my knees, pretty much ruining the coolness of my rescue. Anyway, I splashed my way over to him, using one hand to pull up my pants and the other to swim. When I got over to the little guy, he was definitely in trouble. I hauled him up out of the water and on to his little floaty ring. He kept saying, "Sorry! Sorry!" Eventually some people came over and thanked me and apologized for troubling me. Hell, it was no trouble. I was there to go swimming anyway, so jumping in the pool was no bother, and it didn't put me in any danger. It didn't even take any effort. Still, if my friend hadn't noticed him, and if I hadn't hauled him out of the water, he'd have been sucking water in a few more seconds. Then saving him would have involved CPR, which I can't remember how to do. There's also the chance that nobody would have seen him at all, in which case he'd have been resting quietly on the bottom of the pool.

I know I'm not a hero. Doing something heroic generally involves some kind of sacrifice or at least risk on the part of the hero. Still, it made me feel pretty good to have been there at the right time to help that kid.

Post a Comment