Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Confucius on Revenge

This is the best quote I've seen about revenge:

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."

I'm thinking that means one for yourself and one for the person you are trying to get revenge on. So it is basically saying, "Don't go for revenge, because you will ultimately destroy yourself."

On the other hand, maybe there are two people that you are seeking revenge against...

Of course, I advocate forgiveness:

"Time's march is a web of causes and effects, and asking for any gift of mercy, however tiny it may be, is to ask that a link be broken in that web of iron, ask that it be already broken. No one deserves such a miracle. Nor can I plead that my trespasses be forgiven; forgiveness is the act of another, and only I myself can save me. Forgiveness purifies the offended party, not the offender, who is virtually untouched by it." --Jorge Luis Borges, from his short story "A Prayer" (1969).

Post a Comment