Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Overly Helpful Web Pages

Okay, I'm going to rant a little here, so you might just want to navigate away from this page.

Here's the issue: web sites that assume that because I am in Taiwan, I want to view the Chinese version of their site. Sure, that is a pretty safe assumption, but when I log into sites that I use all the time (like this one), it is really annoying when it comes up Chinese and I have to figure out which link to click on to get it back to English.

What I can't figure out with sites like Google and YouTube is why they don't put a really REALLY obvious link on every page where you can choose your language. Parts of YouTube have it, but other parts don't. Blogspot doesn't have it at all as far as I can tell.

It just seems to be common sense that if you are going to offer your web site in different languages you would want to make it possible for the viewer to choose between the languages offered.

So there!

Now I spent more time complaining about the problem than it actually takes to deal with the problem in the first place.

That's just great. And now I have to post this because I've invested so much time in writing it, no matter how foolish it makes me appear.

Post a Comment